Monday, January 12, 2009

All Dressed And Just Loverly

The shawl is all dressed and it is gorgeous beyond my wildest dreams except one thing. I used the method that Sandy describes in her book to block the shawl and boy am I glad I did. I tied crochet cotton through all the points and then soaked the shawl and stretched it out over the bed. This method is really a lot easier than putting pins in every point. It saved my back.

Remember in my last post I mentioned something was worrying me about blocking? I didn't want to say it out loud because I was afraid that would make it happen. Well it didn't help. It sort of happened anyway. I was afraid I would have a dropped stitch somewhere and end up with this huge hole. What happened was this. While I was stretching out the shawl I noticed a hole in the border. I quickly took one of the coilless safety pins I had and made sure everything was secure and then finished blocking. When the shawl was dry I attempted to repair the damage. Well it turns out it wasn't a dropped stitch at all but a tear in the yarn. I have no idea how it happened. I think it was in 2 places because I had 4 ends and not just two. Well there wasn't much I could do to except try to fix it. I tied all 4 ends and used another end of yarn to make sure the hole was sealed and secure. This is the final result. Obsessive me wants to reknit the whole shawl because of this and maybe give this one away so I don't have to look at it. Crazy true but I am not kidding either.

Here are the rest of the pictures. It really did come out better than I could have dreamed. Now why did the damn thing have to tear?


A woman on Ravelry asked me if the pattern could be used as a tablecloth because she doesn't wear shawls. So I took a picture with the shawl on the table. I think it would make a very nice tablecloth but I would have to use cotton.

The unicorn is the reason I wanted to do this pattern to begin with. I have other filet crochet charts I would like to try to knit with this method but oh to find the time.

I changed the way the center is from the pattern as written. I didn't like the way the written instructions looked so I did a simple eyelet pattern that I saw someone mention on Ravelry. I am very pleased witht he way it looks.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 9:04 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rochelle you continue to be a badass lace knitter beyond all my wildest fantasies. Finishing an amazing shawl, fixing a mistake, and then wanting to re-knit the entire thing over again? Dude! You're awesome.

     
  • At 11:36 a.m., Blogger Dreams of Yarn said…

    I agree, AWESOME. GORGEOUS. You are definitely one BAD-ASS lace knitter for sure.

     
  • At 8:33 p.m., Blogger Sheila said…

    What an incredible shawl! I'm glad you were able to fix the mistake. It would have been a shame if you couldn't. And can I tell you, I love the purple!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL