Saturday, November 29, 2008

Day 29 of NaBloPoMo

Yesterday I finally brought the car in for the last of the maintenance work. I am all caught up now and have the snow tires on the car. I really dodged a bullet this week because there was tons of snow all around us in Toronto but we didn't get anything to speak of here in the city. Can you hear the HUGE sigh of relief? If I had thought about it I would have gotten the snow tires on 2 weeks ago when I had the transmission and other fluids flushed but I didn't think of it before I went to the mechanic. I just prayed the snow would hold off and it did. Tomorrow night they say we might get hit but the last I heard it was still uncertain how much snow we will get.

I decided to take Glenna's advice and give Joseph a reward. On Wednesday night I told him I was really proud of him (which I am) for the 100% he got on his French test. I also know that he has been working very hard trying to get his units done. So I told him that he could play on his x-box for 30 minutes on Wednesday but he needed to do his work first. Well he was so busy he never did manage to get the x-box time in. Instead I told him he could have last night off. He played with his friends with x-box live and he had an absolute blast. I've forgotten how loud he can be when he gets into his games. He was laughing his head off a lot of the time. I think it was good for him. I told Joseph that if I see him continue to try and get his units done then I would continue to allow him to have Friday nights off from doing school work. We'll see how it goes.

Yesterday I spoke to 2 ex-Mary Ward students. Both told me the same thing. The school is very difficult, especially for first years. When I told them Joseph has 21 out of 40 units done they both said it's not so bad. One of the people I spoke to stuck it out and stayed at MW and completed high school. The other decided that MW wasn't for her and she left after grade 9. The other mother I spoke to told me her daughter is finishing in January and she is also behind. It's more difficult for kids these days because the government cut out grade 13 so the high school students have to complete 5 years of work in 4 years. I hope, in the end, that Joseph gets the hang of Mary Ward because if he does it will be a breeze when he goes off to Univeristy.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 10:28 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad to know there's some amount of progress! I hope it keeps getting a bit better. Maybe it's just about finding the right motivation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL