Monday, October 08, 2007

The Right Tool For The Right Job

I'm just a beginning spinner but boy have I learned the importance of proper tools. I've been trying and trying for a very long time to be able to spin fine yarn. The bobbin on the right is still not as fine as I want to get it but I'm getting close. I've been spinning the pencil roving you see on the left. I got that from Laurie at The Black Lamb and, like I've said before, this stuff practically spins itself. This is going to be singles that I am going to use for a shawl, I think. The single is not 100% even but I don't think that is ever going to happen unless it is machine spun.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Little Gem. I've spun on the Ashford Joy, the Louet Victoria, and now the Little Gem. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Joy. The problem is the ratios. If I wanted to spin fine yarn I can only do it if I treadle like mad on either the Joy or the Victoria. I bought the fast whorl last week and it has made such a difference. Not only do I not have to treadle like I am running a race, my treadling has slowed to a crawl on the highest whorl (19.5:1). I would love to see how the Victoria will handle fine yarn once the fast head is released but who knows when that will be. I feel like I've finally produced something I am truly proud of. The yarn on the left is still a little either over or under plied in spots but, on the whole, it is looking pretty darn good. Now I just have to figure out what I want to make with it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 7:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm never showing you my yarn, yours puts mine to shame, GORGEOUS. Glad to hear you are happy with the fast whorl on the Gem, bravo!

     
  • At 11:40 a.m., Blogger Maggie said…

    Beautiful! I'm glad you're happy with your new whorl. When did it show up? My alpaca came while I was away and I can't wait to spin it. But today, after I update my shop, I'll be spinning the rest of the Spunky Club fiber I got.

    To answer your question about whacking, you whack the yarn while it's WET. Snap it really hard, rotate the skein in your hand and snap it against the wall, tub edge, countertop...whatever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL