Sunday, September 30, 2007

Spinning The Day Away

Yesterday was the spin in at Gemini Fibres. The weather was perfect and the drive magnificent. Not to mention the great time I had spinning. As usual, I can't go up to Gemini and come home empty handed. I bought a little over 500 grams of white Shetland top. It is so soft. I can't wait to get started spinning. I might wait until I take the carding class but that will also depend on how long it takes for me to finish the spinning I've already started. The spinning I did yesterday at Gemini is the minty green bobbin. It's Fleece Artist merino roving I bought at Lettuce Knit a short while ago. I loved the colour so much and she had two of the same colour so I grabbed it. I am still having to treadle like mad to get the fine singles but that will all change soon when I get the fast whorl for Gem.

After the spin in I brought Maggie home. I spent a little time there and looked at all the scrumptious stuff she's been dyeing. They I saw this. Maggie said I could have it. She'd been spinning it and was tired of it so she gave it to me. I couldn't wait to spin it up so when I got home last night I pulled the green bobbin off the winder and put on a fresh one to spin it. This is the same fibre that Maggie dyed for me for my birthday. It is unbelievably soft and it is so easy to spin it practically spins itself. I am thinking of spinning up all the fibre she gave me and navajo ply it. I could use the practice. Then maybe I'll make a hat out of it. I'll see what I decide once I am done spinning.

Now for my review on this winder. First, I love the way it matches the wheel. When I got the winder for the Joy the winder looked like it was maple or something and it had just a clear finish. The winder definitely did NOT match the Joy. This match is much better. I love the way this winder works better than the other one did as well. I loved the other one but I always felt a bit of a jerk. I can't really explain it but I don't feel that jerk with this winder. I am guessing it is the different wheels and not the winder but I am really enjoying this winder. As you can see from the picture I got a regular orifice and not the delta orifice. I couldn't get used to the delta and decided it was best for me to get the regular one. I'm not sorry I made that decision either. Now to stop blogging and get back to spinning.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 9:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So glad to hear you got your winder, and the green looks AMAZING

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL