Sunday, May 13, 2007

Tribute To My Mom

First let me wish all the mother's out there a very Happy Mother's Day.

I lost my mother on November 9, 1982. She passed away exactly one month after her 50th birthday. As the years went by I disliked Mother's Day more and more. I would listen to the contests all over the place that people could enter to win for their special mom but I didn't have a mom anymore. Of course my mother has always lived on in my heart and I miss her every day of my life. This year I have a blog and I just felt I had to do this.

My mother was the most amazing woman. Her name was Shirley. She had 6 children and she lived to see 18 grandchildren, I think. It was so long ago it's difficult to remember how many children each of us had at the time she died. I learned my love of knitting from my mom. She taught me one summer to keep me from getting bored. I learned to knit and crochet that summer. After I finally got the hang of it, if I wanted to knit something I never followed a pattern. I would just tell mom what I wanted to make and she would give me verbal step by step instructions on what to do. Mom never followed patterns. It didn't matter if it was knitting or crocheting, all mom had to do was look at a picture and she could reproduce it. I remember a baby blanket she crocheted for Henny with a bear on top. There was no pattern, just a picture.

Mom's talents didn't stop there - she was an amazing cook and artist. My grandfather was a commercial artist and my mother definitely inherited his talents. For the record, that talent skipped me. I almost flunked art in college. But I digress. I had the most beautiful book report covers when I was in school. Mom always made covers for my reports. Mom transposed all my dad's music. That wasn't an easy task believe me. The front pages would always have beautiful covers too. One year dad took mom to see Fiddler on the Roof and mom came home and sketched Tevya. It is framed and still hangs in my dad's house.

I could go on and on but I won't. I miss you mom and I love you. The pain of Mother's Day is a little easier this year.

Thank you for reading.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    such lovely memories, and what an amazing old photo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL