Monday, April 30, 2007

Soak Test

When I was at the Knitter's Frolic on Saturday I stopped by the Soak booth. I bought some Soak and talked to Jacqueline, the founder of Soak, for a little while. I mentioned that I like to use the Soak to rinse my yarn after dyeing and she asked me if I had ever used it before I dyed. I haven't but I did tell her I would try and tell her how it went. The question had come up from a customer if using Soak in the water when soaking the fibre would the fibre be colour fast after dyeing. I tried it out on Sunday when I dyed this fibre. It is more of the undyed Polworth that I have. I used only one colour and it was that Gaywool purple that I had from the day at Maggie's. Unfortunately, I can't get the picture to come out true to colour. It looks way too blue here. The colour is purple and I love the results. Using the Soak in the water when the fibre was soaking did not cause the dye to wash out after the dyeing was complete. I dyed the fibre in the oven, 350 degrees for 30 minutes in one of those speckled roasting pans. The next time I dye I am going to attempt to dye more than one colour. I think I will mix up some dye solutions this weekend when we go to my in-laws, if the weather cooperates. This way I can do the dirty work outside in the yard.

On the knitting front, I got some knitting done on the subway today. I am working up the back now. I hope I can get the back finished by tomorrow. I really need to get this sweater finished by the weekend so I can cast on the second one that has to be finished by May 17th.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your Sockapalooza Pal is putting the thinking cap on....

    Your Sock Pal likes purples too, and also wants to compliment you on your Branched Fern socks, which are very nice and are being put into Your Sock Pal's binder of socks-to-be!

     
  • At 3:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your roving is beautiful!

    I must have missed it...what is Soak? Is it available in the U.S.?

     
  • At 12:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always have a problem getting a good photo of purple. I'm not sure if it's just a digital camera thing or something else. You're really doing well with your dyeing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL