Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Fun Time Was Had

I spent most of my day at the Knitter's Frolic. I got there just before 9 and the parking lot was already full. We knitter's are early risers. I had a doctors' appointment so I figured I would go early stay for 2 hours and then head out to the doctor and then go home. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! I am a Knitter's Frolic newbie so that will account for my ignorance but after this year I will be back and I will know better for next year. I don't remember what it was that kept me from going in past years but I really didn't realize what I was missing. The place was AMAZING!! Just look at a few pictures of the space and vendors.







Now for the haul. I bought 2 spindles at Gemini Fibres. Cheryl got some new spindles in from Tom Forrester this week. I tried the orchard and it spun so well and I just loved the wood. I couldn't leave it behind now could I? The spider is a completely new design. It's the first time he has done this. There were 3, all about the same weight, but this one is the one that told me it wanted to come home with me.

After my stop at Gemini I moved on to The Black Lamb. I got to play with this.What a very nice wheel this is. No treadling hook is required and it is so smooth. You change the whorl only to get smaller ratios so the parts for that are not as expensive as an entire flyer. I also bought some fibre from Laurie. She has one pound bags of pencil roving at an amazing $16 per pound. I got 2 bags. One colour is called lipstick and the other I am not sure what it's called but it is a dusty rose colour. It doesn't seem to want to come out any better in the picture so this will have to do.

These are the rest of the things I bought. The light blue yarn is lace weight alpaca and it was inexpensive, I liked the colour, and I love knitting shawls so it was just begging to come home with me. The sock yarn, well what can you say about sock yarn. It's a cotton blend, it's soft like anything and it was a last minute thing from Red Bird Knits.

The fibre is more of the Northern Lights in Grape Jelly. Since the purple lavender family is my favourite colour it was just calling to me to spin. Fleece Artist Merino sock yarn. I don't think I need to say anything more than that. I love the stuff.
This baby is something I have been trying to find for a VERY LONG TIME!!! I heard about it a few years ago when I was at the Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival and I've wanted one ever since. When I went to that festival I bought 2 kits for knitted beaded bags. I had such a difficult time trying to string the beads I gave up. Now I might actually get to make those bags. This will make stringing the beads effortless.

I saw some people that I met at the last TTC Knit-A-Long at the Frolic. Jacquie was busy as always but I'm glad I ran into her. I would like to help out at the next knit-a-long in June, if they need helpers. Sophie looks great and was fun to talk to as always. I saw Sherri who told me about the Little Gem. And, if that wasn't enough, I met two of my knitting heros.


Before I had to leave to see the doctor I met Amy Singer. She is amazing and funny and I wish I had my books with me so she could have autographed them. I talked too much as always. I think I made a fool of myself. Sortof like a bubbling idiot when you meet a rock star or actor or something. She was great.


Then when everything was just about to wrap up, all the vendors are packing up and who do I see walking towards me? None other than Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Talk about a blubbering idiot? I was shaking all over. Just as nervous as can be. Once again she is just the nicest person. I also wished I had her new book with me. I would have asked for her to autograph it. I'm not a stalker, honestly. I was just so excited. I hope I didn't scare either of them.

I had a GREAT day. Meeting Amy Singer and The Yarn Harlot was just icing on the cake. I am a very happy camper today and I think I will sleep like a baby and dream about what a wonderful day I had.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sooo jealous you got to go to Knitters' Frolic - now I wished I lived in Toronto!! And meeting the Yarn Harlot herself - soo jealous!

     
  • At 1:35 a.m., Blogger Sheila said…

    Wow, it looks like you had a good time! I wish I could have gone.

     
  • At 9:11 a.m., Blogger Sarah said…

    What a great day! I had a blast at the frolic too. Amy Singer is one of the nicest knitters out there. Soo funny!

    I bought a little gem in September at the Knitter's Fair in Kitchener from the Black Lamb. I love my baby!

    Good to know I'm not the only one to indulge.

     
  • At 10:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was great to see you yesterday, and I'm glad I had a chance to see your spindles, since I didn't have time yesterday. (I did find Fiona in the end.)

    They are beautiful.

     
  • At 1:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks like you had a FABULOUS time, I'm sorry I didnt get out... next year. I promise myself. Ohhhh better start saving NOW LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL