Friday, November 24, 2006

Spindles Anyone??










Maggie and I went to Gemini Fibres today. I gave Maggie some roving and this really disgusting spindle I had. I apologized for giving her such a bad one but it was all I could find. I tried looking for another one on Saturday but I wasn't able to find a decent spindle in the GTA. Not surprisingly she wanted a better spindle and I was looking for a lighter one. I found 2 that I really liked and I just couldn't decide so I got both of them. The one on the right is the Orchard. The weight is 31.79 grams and the wood is rock maple & maple. I don't know the name of the one on the left but the weight is 27.89 grams and the wood is also rock maple. They both spin like a dream. It is amazing how long they spin and I am just in awe as to how much easier it is to spin finer yarn when you have a lighter spindle.

I am still having a lot of trouble with the joins. The Blossom spindle is 64 grams to begin with and the cop is getting bigger. I wanted to try and spin the entire 50 grams of the merino before I plied it. Now I'm not so sure I'll be able to do it because the spindle is too heavy. When the yarn breaks I am having a very difficult time getting the join to stay without breaking again. If I make the join when the yarn doesn't break I still have a difficult time getting a smooth join. I almost always have a wider spot at the join. Other than that I'm pleased with the progress I'm making. It is a lot of fun. I can't wait to get the Fleece Artist Merino Sliver roving finished so I can ply it and see how it will turn now. Now if I can just figure out how to spin the remaining 50 grams without having to park and draft I'll be all set.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:18 p.m., Blogger Yosemite said…

    I can't believe how your spinning changed as soon as you got the new spindle. These spindles are amazing. I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as I am.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL