Saturday, November 04, 2006

Practice Makes Perfect??

What an amazing day. I went to Gemini Fibres for my "Introduction to Spinning on the High Whorl Spindle" class. The instructor was Wendy Whelan. She is really great. She has amazing patience. By the time the class was done I managed to get this yarn spun. I need practice practice practice but boy is this fun. Gemini Fibres is in Mt. Albert Ontario. I've never been there before. The drive was much quicker than I thought. I got there in just over 30 minutes and was WAY too early for the class. Cheryl. the owner, is a sweet and wonderful lady. There were only 6 of us in the class so the small size was perfect.




I bought a Tom Forrester Spinde and a Roger Hawkin Niddy Noddy. I just love the spindle. I still can't stand and spin. I run the shaft up my thigh and then park the spindle between my legs and draft. If I try and do it standing I have too much trouble with backspin even if I try to gently spin the spindle. I don't have the feel yet for when I have used up the stored twist and I still have problems with the drafting and therefore my results are still extremely uneven but hey, when I first learned to knit it was just as bad. I have to practice but now all I have to do is find the time. Gemini Fibres will most likely have a class again the the spring and I intend to go to that one as well. They might add an intermediate class and if they do I'll attend that one instead of the beginner.

This is my Lacevember knitting thus far. I love the way this is working up. Unfortunately, I have to put it aside for the next few days. A friend of mine is going to something for cancer next weekend and she asked me to knit the Celtic Vest Since I am a breast cancer survivor I just couldn't say no. I just finished winding the skein into 2 balls of yarn and now I have to figure out how to do the cast on. I've never done 2 yarn cast on before. Once I figure that out the knitting should go quickly.

Maggie and Jeremy met me at Gemini Fibres after the class and I followed them back to their house. What a wonderful place. It's small but it is so quaint. I love the layout, the size, the backyarn, everything. The fact that it's in God's country and you have to drive through all these out of the city roads to get there adds to the appeal even more. It brought me back to the days when I was living in Potsdam, NY. Thank you very much for inviting me over and for coming to meet me so I could get back to your place. It made a great day even more special.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:26 p.m., Blogger Nadia said…

    So glad you enjoyed your spinning class! I know you were looking forward to it. Let's hope this is the beginning of a new addiction!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL