Friday, October 20, 2006

Am I Missing Something??

Today I went to the Creative Festival. I had a pretty good time because I spent some time knitting with other knitter's at the AM740 booth where they test for the fastest knitter and crocheter. I saw Wannietta at the booth. She was warming up to defend her title of the fastest knitter in North America. I did time myself at knitting but I don't like knitting with straight needles and I just couldn't get in the groove. I did manage to knit 124 stitches in 3 minutes. Nothing close to Wannietta but I'll take it. I also went to the West Toronto Knitter's area and met some really nice knitter's there. I am ashamed to say I am horrible with names and I can't remember the name of the woman I was talking to. She was spinning with a drop spindle and it was fascinating to watch.


I didn't spend too much money and that was a plus. That doesn't mean I didn't buy anything. I bought some yummy baby alpaca yarn in a lace to fingering weight in brown from Headwater Wool to knit a stole. The stole is one of Larisa's designs and is very nice. I will post pictures once I have a chance to knit it.The yarn is marked as a fingering weight but I think it is a fine fingering weight. The yarn I used for the Rosy Fingered Dawn pattern was supposed to be laceweight and it was more like fingering weight. Yarn weights can be so confusing sometimes.

I got 3 skeins of Noro in colour 134 from Mary Maxim to make the Booga bag. Last but not least, I got a book from Noro called Noro Revisted by Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton from The Needle Emporium. There are some really nice patterns in this book. I love the one on the cover. I want to make it but I don't want to use the Noro. It's good for felting but not for a sweater for me because I find it too itchy.

What I found so disappointing about the show is the presence of things like cooking pots, orthodics, makeup and things like that. What on earth do these things have to do with "creative". There was VERY LITTLE knitting or crocheting. I think there were maybe 15 to 20 booths that dealt with the fibre arts, if there were that many. I thought knitting is more popular now than it has been for years. Why is there such a lack of knitting presence at this event? I believe that each year the knitting content shrinks. What am I missing??

On a bright note, as a result of going back and forth to the convention by TTC I did a lot of KIPing. I finished the first sock knit from the Kroy self striping yarn. I was going to try and knit a sock in a solid colour yarn next, before I finished the second sock, but I couldn't find any solid coloured sock yarn in a colour I liked so I just started the second sock on the way home.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:31 a.m., Blogger Chelle said…

    Thanks for the review Rochelle. I was feeling bad about not getting out to the show (I never seem to make it), but while I'm sorry I didn't get to meet Wannietta, it doesn't sound like I missed a lot of great knitting resources.

    Maybe we should try to get to the Kitchener Festival next September?

     
  • At 10:10 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    It was so very nice to see you again Rochelle!! I think that we met at one of Joan Schrouder's shawl classes? I'm very good with faces but names take me awhile so I'm not shy about saying "Have we met?" or "You just seem familiar to me ..."

    And of course we're on Knitting in Canada too, so as soon as you said "Rochelle" I knew.

    Thanks for your encouragement - it worked!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL