Saturday, October 14, 2006

Yarn Yarn and Yet More Yarn


I've been very bad this week. I couldn't resist getting more yarn. First, I bought some yarn from Grand River Yarns. I have 2 more grandchildren on the way and I want to knit the Sweet Dreams Baby Blanket for both of the new arrivals. It's become sort of a tradition with me. I love this pattern so much that I make it for most people when I want to give them a baby gift.



The yarn from Grand River Yarns is a fingering weight sock yarn. I bought it in 3 colours - 600 grams of the cream and 300 grams each of the plum and green. When the cost is only 3 cents per gram, how can you go wrong? The cream I am going to use for the blankets and I think I am going to knit a shawl from the other two colours. I haven't quite decided yet. The yarn isn't as soft as I would like but I am going to knit a swatch with it and see if it softens up in the wash. Then I'll know better if I will definitely use it for the baby blankets or not. I do like the twist on the yarn. It doesn't look like it will split easily when knitting with it. I'll report more on my experience once I actually start my next sock.




I went to Mary's Yarns on Thursday for their first Sock Club night. I bought the Fleece Artist sock yarn then in 3 colours. Maggie brought some to our SnB on Tuesday night and this stuff is amazing. It is really really soft and it knits up into great socks. My daughter wears a size 10 shoe and I can still make a decent size cuff. From what I understand one skein goes a long way.



Finally, I managed to finish the second sock for two pairs of socks this week. I designed both of these myself. You can't really see the pattern on the colourful too well but I like the way both of them turned out (exept for the short row heel). I've started another pair from some Kroy self patterning yarn I had in my stash. Once I finish this pair I'll give the Grand River Yarn a try.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:15 p.m., Blogger Chelle said…

    Hey Rochelle...it's Rachelle! (don't get to type that often!)

    I LOVE that blanket...LOVE LOVE LOVE...We have two sets of newlyweds in the family now, so I probably should get one on the needles proactively!

    Too funny about sock night. Maggie must have spiked our coffee at SNB on Tuesday. Friday morning I was in the North Scarborough area looking for a place to walk Haley and wound up a Too Good Pond...oddly enough around the corner from Mary's Yarns! I admit, I bought a skein of the Fleece Artist too.

    That tears it...Christmas Stocking Club is our next theme at SNB. You Socksperts can show us Socknewbies how it's done!

    Hope you are doing well...your knitting is gorgeous as always!

     
  • At 7:47 p.m., Blogger DeAnn said…

    Hi Rochelle,
    I love that baby blanket; it's gorgeous!
    Where did you get the pattern from? Did you make it up yourself?
    I would love to knit it for the babies in my family too. I would love to know where to get the pattern.
    email me @ alicewindtalker@bak.rr.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL