Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Options vs. Addi

I bought a set of the new Knitpicks Options needles and brought them back from NYC. There have been different opinions on these needles. I have used the 4.5mm from the set and the 2mm circulars that I bought in addtion to the set because the set only starts at US 4 (3.5mm).

So far I have not had any problems with the needle coming apart. I find the joins on both the needle set and the regular circular needles extremely smooth. The points are much better than the Addi's and I am an Addi fanatic. I love my Addi Turbos. I als found I am able to do the Magic Loop for my socks with a 32" circular needle. With the Addi that would have been impossible. The cords are just not flexible enough. These cords are amazing. They are practically unkinked right out of the package.

I've heard complaints about the size being off. I didn't find this to be the case. It was a tiny bit of on maybe 3 of the sizes. Otherwise the sizes were dead on and I have the knitting needle gauge from Nancy's Knit Kards.

Still other people felt the needles were too heavy. I don't feel this is the case at all. As I said, to try the set out I used the 4.5mm needles to knit a poncho with worsted weight yarn and there are about 270 sts on the needle. I had no problem knitting.

P.S.
I was having a problem with one of the cords not being smooth. I called Knitpicks and they are sending me out a new one. I have not used all the cords yet and a quick once over tells me I might have the same problem with another one or two but I know that the customer service is great so I am not worried.
My daughter bought a set and she had a problem with her 24" cables. Something about the screw not being long enough, I think. She also said the tips she was using tarnished. I have not had that problem yet. She will mention it when she calls them about the 24" cables. I'll keep you posted on how it went.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:32 p.m., Blogger June said…

    Hi Rochelle,

    I just found your blog, from your comments on mine! Thanks so much for visiting me there! I've purchased only a few of the Knit Picks Needles, but haven't really tried them out yet! That doily of mine was definately not on their size list!

     
  • At 9:40 p.m., Blogger Marlene said…

    Thanks for the needle review. I purchased a set, and the smaller needles, for my daughter for her birthday. She will be visiting on Sunday and will pick them up then. We're both looking forward to seeing how they work.

    I have a full set of Addis but would love to have the Options as well.

    As far as the issue of "off sizing" goes, I really don't mind that in a needle. As long as I have other needles (which I do!) it gives me more options if I am having trouble getting gauge.

     
  • At 10:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for your thoughts on the Options needles. I just received mine today, and won't be able to look at them until tomorrow. I especially like to hear that the Customer Service is great with KnitPicks. This has been my first order with them, and so far, I was not impressed, so it is good to hear otherwise.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL