Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I Love Unicorns

I have been a unicorn collector for many years. I was given some flack about it years ago from someone who tried to convince me to get rid of my unicorns because it was devil worship or some such nonsense. I love the look and gracefulness of Pegasus and unicorns and that's why I collect them. One day I was looking at the Golding custom spindles and a light bulb went off in my head. I need a unicorn spindle to add to my spindle collection and my unicorn collection. So I emailed Tom and after a few sketches this is what we came up with. I am so pleased I can't even begin to express it in words. The wood is butternut. The ring is Abalone. The spindle weighs 1.1 oz. which is heavier than I am used to but I can easily use this to try and spin for sock yarn or plying. Oh and in case you're wondering about the fibre in the picture, it's stuff I did in the carding class I took at the Purple Purl in September. I'm cooking up ideas for the next spindle and I've just about figured it out.

On the knitting front, I've finally got the Forest Path Stole blocked. It is gorgeous. Yarn used is Classic Elite Silky Alpaca. This yarn was a dream to work with. I knit 19 tiers and only used a small amount of the 5th ball. I was almost through the second side border when I attached the 5th ball and then knit the 21 rows for the top border. I think I am a bit confused as to which needles I used so I am going to check later before I say anything. I know I used the Knit Picks Harmony needles. The stole blocked out to 29" by 88". Thank you to Miko from The Purple Purl for modeling the stole while I took pictures.




Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 10:31 a.m., Blogger Maggie said…

    I can't wait to see the spindle in person. Next week!

    Wow, Rochelle, that stole is stunning. Amazing.

     
  • At 10:42 a.m., Blogger Dreams of Yarn said…

    The stole is gorgeous!
    I hope you bring the spindle to SnB for all of us to fondle :)

     
  • At 9:39 p.m., Blogger Agnes said…

    Lovely! Very stunning stole.

     
  • At 11:26 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful stole! Hopefully in my future.

     
  • At 12:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The stole is beautiful and that spindle...well... I WANT IT!!!!

     
  • At 12:01 a.m., Blogger Sheila said…

    I love that stole! You did a fabulous job.

     
  • At 2:52 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    I am seeing how to put the words. Unicorns have long enchanted humankind with the symbolism of their grace, finesse, and unconquerable nature. The antediluvian unicorn described in the Talmud and in Medieval Arabian accounts was enormous. There could have been a form of unicorn in Amerindian mythology since accounts of unicorns have also come from Mexico in 1539 and Florida in 1564. -----------------------
    Karrikim

    Drug Rehabilitation Programs

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL