Saturday, September 27, 2008

Get Blogging!

As Michelle said in the comments, it's time I got back to blogging. It's not as if I haven't been knitting. I just haven't been blogging.

First, I finished the Spring Forward socks from Knitty. I really liked knitting this pattern. It is easy to remember and it was lots of fun. The yarn I used is On Your Toes by S.R. Kertzer. I knit them up with 2.25mm Knit Picks Harmony needles. They seem to have become my sock needle of choice these days. That's a little surprising to me since I've always knit my socks with 2mm needles. The yarn was alright to knit with but I didn't think it was anything spectacular. I thought the colours looked better in the ball than they did when I knit it up but I still like the way they turned out and I know the intended person will love them. I might look to see what other colours they have in this yarn and if I find something I like I might knit with it one more time. I'll wait until the Creative Festival and see if anyone has the yarn there.

The second pair of socks I finished is the Bleeding Hearts socks. This one was a surprise for me. I use Patons Stretch Socks for these and once again the 2.25mm Harmony needles. What surprised me is how much I like this yarn. It has elastic in it and hence the "stretch" in the yarn name. I just started the Jaywalker socks in a blue colourway of this yarn. I'm hoping the elastic in the yarn will help with the tightness of the pattern. I haven't gotten past the toe so I'm not sure yet.

In other knitting, I've almost finished the Forest Path Stole. I'm working on the left side border now. I've got 4 triangles left to go and then it's the top border and blocking and this will be an FO.

Last Sunday I went to The Purple Purl for a carding class. Lorraine Smith was the instructor. She was fantastic as always. I think I might actually have gotten a better handle on carding this time around. It was a blast. We were given fibres in red, yellow, blue, white, and black. Then we blended different fibres to get different colours. The carding technique was totally different to what I was shown in the first carding class I took. I found this method of holding the cards a lot easier to do than the first class I took. This is what I managed to card and I will be spinning it up on a spindle as soon as it arrives. I'll tell more about that when I receive it in the mail.


Ever since the first time I saw this at the Purl I've wanted to learn how to make it. It just so happens that they had a rug hooking class on Sunday afternoon after I had finished the carding class. I was there but I've never done rug hooking before - latch hook yes, rug hooking no. I asked if a beginner could take the class and I was happily told yes. I ended up staying for the class. I don't have enough progress to show so I am not going to bother with a picture yet. I also want to get another hook because I feel the hook that was in the kit is a little to big. There should be at least one rug hooking vendor at the Creative Festival so I will look into getting some supplies in a few weeks.



Last but not least, some Malabrigo sock yarn and Silky Merino ended up following me home last week. I know the sock yarn will not be used for socks. I have some shawls I want to make. Now to decide which ones they want to become.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:42 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice to hear your comments on the Patons Stretch - I bought a pair's worth this summer but still haven't used it! It feels like it could be a nice utilitarian yarn.

     
  • At 9:27 a.m., Blogger BeFRuiTFuL KReaTioNS said…

    Welcome to the fun art form of rug hooking. Rug hooking has become a passion for me. I truly love this art form. Do share a photo when you make progress. I love the mermaid that inspired you to try your hand at rug hooking.

    From a fellow rug hooker,
    JoEllen

     
  • At 12:00 a.m., Blogger Sheila said…

    wow, you have been busy! I have been knitting but no camera :( The socks are great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL