Monday, August 27, 2007

Round and Round

Who would have thought trying to get a money order is US dollars was such a big deal? I felt like I was on the merry go round going in circles trying to get this done. I've decided to order the Woolee Winder for my Little Gem. Since I go to and from my daughter I usually have US funds left over and just hold on to it to use when I go back. I had enough in the house to pay for the winder so I figured I would pay that way rather than put it on my credit card. No problem right? Mr. Lee said a Canadian money order is fine as long as it is marked US funds.

Before I get into it, I do my banking with a bank that doesn't have a bricks and mortar building. I don't pay banking fees and it has saved me lots of money over the years. It isn't handy at times like this. Off to bank number one I go. After waiting in line the teller tells me she can't do anything for me if I don't have an account with their bank. Ok, off to bank number 2 I go, same thing. Off to bank number 3 I go and this bank I figure should be fine since my non bricks and mortar bank tells me I should use this bank to do deposits and withdrawals via their ATM. No problem they tell me, I can get the money order. I am a very happy camper. On we go with the transaction. We hit a snag. I can't pay for the money order in US dollars. They have to BUY my USD and exchange it to CDN and then switch it back to US dollars again when they write the money order. With the fee to do the money order it would cost me an extra $14.00!!! Are they nuts????? Sorry I tell the lady and she gives me back my USD. FINALLY, off to a fourth bank I go and tell them, "this is my challenge. I need a US money order, I don't have an account, I want to pay in USD and I want to pay the money order fee in CDN dollars." "No problem," is the reply I heard. Can you imagine my joy at this point? So MO is purchased and on its way. Now all I have to do is be patient and wait. I'm not very good at being patient.

Update:
For the record, I would have gone to the post office except I know that sometimes the US banks give hassles with Canadian postal money orders. I wanted to make sure Mr. Lee wouldn't have any hassles and hence I went to the bank.

Michelle, if I had know I would have asked. Something to keep in mind for next time, thanks.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:20 p.m., Blogger Vaedri said…

    What a ridiculous rigarmarole! The one time I needed money order, I was told to go to the post office, and it wasn't too much of a hassle.

     
  • At 2:24 p.m., Blogger Yosemite said…

    I thought about that but sometimes people have problems with Canadian postal money orders and I didn't want to take the chance. I thought a bank money order would be the best.

     
  • At 4:13 p.m., Blogger Michelle said…

    Hmmmm,
    next time Yosemite should remember good friends' husband is a foreign exchange dealer and would have wired the money for you. Hmmm....

    See you tomorrow, I'm so excited, I have missed you soo much.

    Michelle

     
  • At 6:08 p.m., Blogger Pirk said…

    I never had a problem with the post office MO. I hate to get it from the bank, even my own, because it's so complicated.

    I have a US $ checking account, which is much easier than the hassle you went thru.

    poor girl, hope you feel ok by now.

     
  • At 12:53 a.m., Blogger Sheila said…

    And to think that Canada and the US are friendly neighbors! What a pain! Hope you get your yarn winder soon. I love mine. Saves a lot of time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL