Thursday, January 18, 2007

Trying New Things

I had to go back to work after I picked Joseph up from school. Paul was helping one of the guys at work set up and transfer stuff from his old laptop to his new laptop. He didn't finish everything on Sunday so he had to come back after work today to finish the rest of it. Since I had a little time before Paul would get to the office I came home to try crock pot dyeing. Kimberly brought some yarn she didn't want anymore so I got 2 balls of grey Sock It To Me sock yarn. I decided to dye it using grape Kool Aid. Since it would take a few hours at work I figured the stuff would be ready by the time I got home. Sure enough I was right. I used 8 packets of Kool Aid with 8 cups of water and 2 cups of vinegar. I set the crock pot on low and left. I came home 2 and a half hours later and the water is clear. I am waiting for it to cool so I can let it soak in a warm bath. More pictures to follow once the yarn is dry.

UPDATE

Here's the final result. I can't seem to get the picture to show the true colour. The real colour is a little deeper than what is coming out in the picture but it's close enough. I really like the way it turned out and dyeing in the crock pot is even easier for me than dyeing in the microwave. I can dye more in crock pot because the pot is bigger then anything I can put in the microwave.

The next thing I want to do is try to dye some roving. I have a lot of undyed stuff but I am a little hesitant because I am worried about felting when I do the dyeing. When I finally get up enough courage to actually dye some roving I will either use the crock pot or get a big pan I can use in the oven. I have an Echo roasting pan I don't really use anymore and I was going to give it away but I might just use it to oven dye. Now I just have to figure out if you can use it or not.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:12 a.m., Blogger Michelle said…

    OK now I like the colour, want to trade it for something?
    I'm gonna bring my stash next Tuesday.
    M.

     
  • At 11:23 a.m., Blogger Yosemite said…

    I'll try to remember to bring the yarn to the next Snb but I'm not promising anything. I still have to wind it into a ball. I'll do that this weekend.
    /Rochelle

     
  • At 12:45 a.m., Blogger LadyLungDoc said…

    Do you have a sunny area in your house? I've dyed yarns by putting them in a closed glass dish in the sunlight - less heat than the microwave.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL