Saturday, January 13, 2007

What's The Point??

I took some Cold FX and that stuff really works. I'm not any worse then I was on Friday and I might even be a little better. So I decided to take advantage of the situation and go to Romni afterall. When Maggie, Kimberly and I went to Romni during Boxing week I didn't see any bobbins for the Ashford Joy so I called there this week to find out if they had any in stock. I was assured that they had TONS of bobbins. Why the heck did I even bother to check? I get there and sure enough they have TONS of bobbins but they don't look like the bobbins I got with Joy. So up I go with a bag of bobbins to double check and as I suspected the TONS of bobbins they have are for the Lendrum NOT the Joy. The gentleman ended up selling me the 3 bobbins that came with one of the Joy wheels they had in stock. He opened a box he was going to use for display so he let me buy the bobbins. I still don't get it. If you tell someone something shouldn't you be sure you know what the heck you're talking about?

Of course I didn't get out of Romni without buying roving. I bought some BAL. Don't ask me what that stands for because I don't have a clue. I am guessing it is some sort of Leicester but I don't know. I got it in the cream colour so I could spin and dye. I also bought a bottle of Soak in their holiday scent. The bottle is a little smaller than the regular scented bottles they have so the cost was a little less as well.

On the blanket knitting front, I managed to get some good work done today. I am at the halfway point of the first star block sections. I should be able to finish that section by tomorrow. I'll post pictures of my progress tomorrow night, if I have a chance.

I spoke to Usher yesterday and Deena had some tests done and so far so good. The fluid level seems to be better. She will have to go to the hospital tomorrow for more tests but she offically begins the 9th month on Monday so I am not too too worried. Of course I always worry a little bit but after having had 7 children myself and the last 2 were early I am not as worried as I could be.

I did some spinning yesterday. I am not sure what the heck I need to do to get more twist into my singles but that's what I need to do. I'm trying to spin lace to fingering weight and when the yarn breaks I am still having a hell of a time trying to restart again. The yarn keeps breaking and that means there isn't enough twist. The Joy doesn't come with a fast flyer and I wish it did. It is my understanding they have no plans for one either but maybe they will eventually change their mind about that? One can only hope.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:46 a.m., Blogger Maggie said…

    Treadle faster, maybe? Huff and puff!

    Do you mean, amniotic fluid levels? I had issues with that with Alex. Near the end of my pregnancy my body slowed down with the replenishment of the fluid, I had very low levels so they decided to induce. For me it was no problem at all because it was at the very end.

    Everything will be fine! You're right not to worry. :)

     
  • At 5:20 p.m., Blogger Sande Francis said…

    Hi, i suspect that BAL roving was in fact, BFL, Blue-Faced Leicester. This wool is softer than other Leicester breeds and has a nice long staple so it's easier to spin.

    To get more twist in the singles, use the ratios on your Joy. The two whorls (wheel and flyer) with the greatest difference in their respective sizes make the fastest ratio. I have a joy and while I love it dearly, it's not all that fast at spinning lacewt. I use my Reeves for that with the 20:1 ratio. :) So, with the Joy you must treadle a lot more and that means the takeup needs to be a bit lighter, too. Perhaps that's why the yarn is breaking - is the wheel grabbing it out of your hands before you are ready to let it go?

    The Joy doesn't have a wide range of ratios - I generally use the 2nd to fastest all the time. :)

    Sande in Fresno, CA, USA

     
  • At 8:55 p.m., Blogger Yosemite said…

    Sande, when I first got the Joy on December 20th I had problems with over twisting but then the yarn I was spinning was thicker then it is now. I am able to treadle and draft faster and no the yarn is not getting ripped out of my hands and sucked into the orifice too quickly. At least I don't feel like that is the case. I think I just need to try and treadle faster. The advice I was given when I received the wheel was TREADLE SLOWLY and I got into that habit. I'm not treadling as slowly as I did when I first started using the wheel but obviously I am not treadling fast enough. I've only been spinning on the wheel about 3 weeks so I will get there. I plan on getting the Louet Victoria and they will be coming out with a fast flyer for that wheel so I will have an easier time doing lace weight when I finally manage to get the wheel and explain why I want another wheel too hubby.

    The problem with the singles is if I accidentally have a thinner patch and the single breaks, the single keeps breaking as I try to rejoin the fibre. When I try pulling the single from the bobbin so I can thread it through the orifice the yarn breaks. Sometimes it will break after I thread it through the orifice. I know it's because there isn't enough twist in the single. I just switched to the highest ratio, 14:1 I believe it is, and I will see if that will make a difference. I haven't had time to try anything because I've been too busy knitting. I intend to give it a try on Wednesday night.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL