Saturday, January 20, 2007

100th Post - Amazing

It's hard to believe this is going my 100th post. When I first started blogging in July I wasn't even sure if I was going to keep up with it. I just wanted to give it a try. It sure has become another one of my many addictions.

Speaking of addictions, I went up to Gemini Fibres today. I can't believe I actually did the drive. You have to understand that I am probably one of the most chicken drivers on the face of the planet and when it snows I don't drive unless I have to. The thing is when I left my apartment this morning the sun was shining and the roads were clear. I had no idea the roads were snow covered north of the city. When I got to Major McKenzie on the 404 I got stuck behind a convoy of plowers. I am still surprised I didn't just get off the 404 and go home. It just shows you how much I wanted to stuff from Gemini. I lasted on the slow moving 404 until Stouffville Rd. and then got off the 404 and took Woodbine the rest of the way. I am still amazed the drive took me an hour. I thought I was going to be very late. These are the goodies I came home with.


This is the Spinner's Control Card. I guess the name says it all. There are yarn gauge rulers that are similar. Here is what the card looks like:


You just match your single to one of the lines and there is a card that comes with it that will tell you how to figure out how to make your singles inorder to get the yarn you want. It's cool.

I already managed to get the Ashford Book of Spinning. This book is out of print as far as my understanding goes. Cheryl had it in stock so I asked her to put one aside for me. I have no idea if she still has it or not. Now I have to finish reading the first book by Ann Field and then get started on this one.

I also got some more Fleece Artist Merino Sliver in a blues colourway to go along with the stuff I got last time I was there. I am going to ply one single from this stuff with the singles from the stuff I bought last time I went up to Gemini and see how it goes. With 200 grams in total it should be enough for me to make a shawl or a scarf at the very least.

Finally I came home with this. When I think about buying this spindle I keep thinking about the commercial we have here in Canada for Visa win what you buy contest where the woman comes home and there are a ton of shoes walking behind her and when she gets home and her husband looks at her and the shoes following her she says "They just followed me home." That's what I have to say about this spindle.


I was eyeing this spindle when I went up to Gemini with Maggie a few weeks ago. That's when I said I couldn't remember how to spindle spin and I just couldn't get the thing to work properly so I left it. When I went to Maggie and I tried using her spindle I had the same problem and that's when I realized I needed to get back into spindle spinning lest I lose the touch. I brought some fibre with me to test it out and I LOVE THIS SPINDLE!!!! I say the same thing about a lot of my spindles but this one is fantastic as well. It weighs 20.59 grams and it spins like a top.
I am so glad an order didn't come in for it and Cheryl still had it in the store.


Here you can see some of the spinning I did when I got home. I can't spin this fine on the wheel. If I try the yarn just breaks on me. It spins better than the green and pink painted Forrester spindle I have. Now I have to resist using it the rest of the day and get back to knitting on the blanket.

On the weight loss front, I went to see Dr. Poon today and I lost 4 pounds over the last 2 months. That's not good at all but it's better than gaining 4 pounds. He told me to go back to phase one. I'm not too thrilled about that but I will. He said that on his program you shouldn't have a plateau so I must be doing something wrong and not realizing what the heck it is I am doing. I am going to keep a food diary. I go back in a month and we'll see how it goes. I am pretty proud of myself in any event because I went back to the doctor today. In the past I would have cancelled the appointment because I didn't lose enough weight and that might have started a spiral I don't want to go on.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a pretty spindle. I really need one of those spinners control cards myself!

     
  • At 9:06 a.m., Blogger Michelle said…

    Hi Rochelle,
    Maybe I'll spin when I'm a bubie, maybe I'll have time for another hobby then!
    If it makes you feel any better I'm in phase 1 also and I have also started a food diary today.
    I think that I might be nibbling and just adding enough carbs to stall my loss.
    I was down 1 pound last week and I'll take it. It certainly is better than gaining!!!
    I'm cheering for you, you can do this and so can I.

    Michelle

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL