Sunday, December 24, 2006

Round and Round She Goes.....

I decided it was time to try a different ratio so I brought Joy with me when we went to the in-laws yesterday. I decided to be daring and work with the highest ratio. The box says 15:1 and the assembly instructions page says 14:1. You can pick whichever one you like. It was interesting. I used the Coopworth cream rovings I have. The cream roving doesn't have the same feel as the light. I actually like the feeling of the cream better because it doesn't feel oily like the light. I found it had quite a bit of those little bits in the rovings. Are they called nibs or something? They are like little dots in the fleece but it's not dirt. Anyway, I found this roving had quite a bit of it. The final yarn is very uneven but parts of it are as fine as I want it to be. So I am definitely getting there. I just need more practice and I think maybe slow down more but right now I am too excited.

I dyed the yarn with Ice Blue Kool Aid and this is the result. I dyed it in the microwave with 1/2 cup of vinegar, 4 cups of water, and 4 packets of Kool Aid. It is a little heathery. I need to buy a deeper microwavable dish because I used the biggest one I have and the yarn wasn't 100% covered with the water. I had to give it the 2 minute hit 3 times before the water was basically clear. I love the colour. Now I have to figure out what I will make with it. I am thinking a scarf. I have more Coopworth, I think. I didn't label one ziplock bag and I am trying to decide if it is Coopworth or South African Fine. I have to take a closer look at it because once I pull the stuff apart I'll know right away.

We're heading back to the in-laws for Christmas dinner later today and I think I'll bring the wheel with me again. If I don't have time to spin at least it will be with me if I do get the opportunity to use it. I think I'm finally ready to try and use the rovings that came with the machine. I already pre-drafted one of the 100 gram balls of rovings so I'm set to go. I want to practice as much as I can before I have to go back to work on Wednesday.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lookin' Good!

    I just paint my skeins using a turkey baster then wrap my skeins in Saran Wrap. I don't use the bowl at all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL