Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My Dyed Yarn!!

It just keeps getting better and better. This is the plied yarn that was on the Handy Andy this morning. I plied it when I got home from work and then wound it on the Niddy Noddy. I kept it on the noddy for about an hour and then gave the yarn a bath in soak. From the sites I saw on the internet it said to use 1 packet of KoolAid for each ounch of yarn. Since the skein weight was 27 grams I just used 1 packet of grape KoolAid, 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. I put it in a pyrex bown and microwaved it. I nuked it for 2 minutes and then let it stand for 5 minutes. The water still had some colour so I zapped it for another 2 minutes. That was enough. I let it cool for about 20 minutes and then bathed it in soak again. I think when I do it again I will try 2 packets of the KoolAid. I would like a more intense purple. The colour is lighter than it appears in this picture. However, for a first shot I think it looks alright. It's funny how the water to becomes clear. I know other people have said it but it's a totally different thing when you see it with your own eyes. I have lots of rovings that I can dye once I spin it. I think for now I will dye after spinning because I don't want to felt the rovings.

P.S. Looking at the yarn after it has dried I really like it. I noticed that where the skein was tied by both ends of the yarn the colour is a little lighter under those ties. I also was very surprised to see that the crochet cotton ties I also used did not dye. I am going to finish knitting the rest of the single ply I have and then dye that as well. I have to buy more no sugar KoolAid

1 Comments:

  • At 6:26 p.m., Blogger Tallguy said…

    Isn't it fun to dye yarn???

    Yes, Kool-Aid will only dye protein (animal) fibre, including silk. It will not dye cotton, or hemp, or other plant material. I've heard it will colour nylon a little, but I haven't tried it.

    And you found out that your ties must be very loose! You should also give the contents a stir now and then too, to allow ALL the dye molecules to reach every part of the yarn. Or conversely, you can only dip part of the yarn into the dye bath, and do the other end another colour! How cool is that!

    You CAN over-dye this skein with another dyebath, you know. You can use purple again, or even another tone... keeping in mind the colour wheel. (hint: don't use yellow)

    You should try using the stove-top method as well; gives you a little more versatility. And dyeing before spinning will felt the rovings? Really? Gee, guess I've been lucky so far!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL