Tuesday, December 26, 2006

AWeekend of Spinning

I've been busy spinning. We went to my in-laws on Sunday and brought my wheel. Everyone loved watching me spin. It was a lot of fun. I got to be with family and spin and we all had a blast. I finished spinning the first ball of roving that came with the wheel. If you look closely it was overspun in spots. I've fixed that by changing the ratio. The lowest ratio wasn't working. Trying to spin fine singles, I had to constantly deal with breakage. When I changed it to the highest ratio I didn't have breakage but I did have overspin problems even when I tried to treadle as slowly as possible.

I decided I needed to try a different ratio so I changed it to 12:1 and I had a much easier time. I was able to still try and spin fine singles and I didn't have as much overspin. This is the Coopworth light dyed with Magic Colour Cherry KoolAid. The colour is ok. I'm not thrilled with it but it's better than the light undyed. I don't like this yarn at all. I didn't like the rovings and I don't like the feel of the Coopworth when it's spun. It is too harsh and not soft at all. It might be easy for a beginner to spin but I don't think I will get anymore of the stuff.

Now I'm working on the second ball of wool roving that came with the wheel. I've finished one bobbin and this is the second. I should be able to get it plyed today. Then it's back to work tomorrow so I won't have much spinning time before the weekend. Maggie, Kimberly and I are planning a trip to Romni later in the week so I should get more rovings then. I want to try and spin the alpaca I have and shee if I have any better success with the wheel. I didn't have much success with the spindle.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're making definate progress :-)

    Try some South African Top. I love spinning it on the spindle and can't wait to get it on my wheel when it arrives.

     
  • At 7:17 p.m., Blogger Michelle said…

    If you prick your finger on that wheel how long do you fall asleep for?

    Seriously......
    Just coming out from flu hell. Hope to see you soon, I'm glad that you're getting so much satisfaction and fun from your wheel.

    Michelle

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL