Sunday, April 01, 2007

Spinning Once Again

The all day spinning workshop at Gemini Fibres was fantastic yesterday. Those who read my blog know I haven't touched my spinning wheel since the confetti disaster. I had such a blast yesterday and I learned so much. I took the spinning wheel out this morning and managed to get this spun. The fibre is some teal Corriedale that I bought when I took my spindle class. So far, I like the way this is turning out. Of course I won't know for sure until I try to ply it. I did learn some great tips about how to check the twist in the single. Wendy, our instructor, said you have to pull back and check the twist from singles already on the bobbin because until the single is on the bobbin there is still twist getting into the single. She also told us how to try and get a more even ply by counting the number of treadles before releasing the yarn to go onto the bobbin and trying to be consistent in the length of singles plied each time before releasing to wind onto the bobbin.

I made some changes to the scotch tensionon on my wheel. Wendy suggested that with a rubberband I would have better control of the tension than I do with the spring. I changed it and I like it this way much better. I like the cord better than the plastic string that came with the wheel as well. It is more stable and easier to control. When I ply the first 2 bobbins I will see if I want to add a rubberband to the right or not. According to the information that came with the wheel the second spring was added to help make the plying smoother. I haven't plied without the 2 springs before so it will be interesting to see how it goes when I get there. It feels good to be spinning once again. Onward and upward.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh I really like that color :) I hope you're enjoying your spinning this time much more than before - do post when you're all done with it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL