Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

I've been busy working on the Forst Path Stole. I just finished tier 11 and I love it. Chelle and I stretched out a part of it last night and it is going to be gorgeous when it is completed. I'll have lots of fun blocking it but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'm more encouraged on the health front. I went to get the results of my blood work yesterday and at the time the test was done I was NOT post menopause. Without going into details, I figured that out 2 days after I went to see the GYN when I had a little surprise. You can probably guess what that was. Anyway, the GYN said based on recent events he is pretty confident the biopsy I am having next week will be negative. The so so thing about all of this is that the treatment I was on for 5 years after I had my mastectomy was to stop the hormone production. Since I am still producing some estrogen the doctor asked me yesterday about removing the ovaries. I have to go see the oncologist and discuss it with him. I already had an appointment to see him on April 19th. The blood results and the pelvic ultrasound results have been faxed to his office and I just have to wait to hear if he thinks I should come in to see him before April or not. I doubt it since he is going on vacation next week and by the time I would get the results of the biopsy it would be almost April 19th anyway.

I was assigned my secret pal and I have checked out my SP's blog. I have some ideas as to what I want to send in the first package already I just have to go shopping. I'll try and get that partially done within the next week or so. This is going to be fun. I just hope my SP likes what I buy.

That takes care of the good. I've been VERY bad. I got more fibre delivered today. I love the colourways. It's called Spring Break. With Joseph having spring break this week it just seemed appropriate and the sale was still on. I got it from Blue Ridge Silk Works. This time I got dinged by customs but it was only the GST plus the $5.00 handling fee that I can't stand!!!!

I drove up to Gemini Fibres this weekend and I bought 2 (count them 2) cones of 2/8 tencel. I couldn't decide which one I liked so I bought both. The one on the right is blueberry and the left is azure. The colours didn't come out so great in the picture. Cheryl also has a lovely teal colour in the 2/10 that I have my eye on. So much for knit from your stash. In my defense, I think it's better for me to buy yarn than eat what I shouldn't be eating. With all the stress I've had lately I just needed something and that hit the spot. What more can I say other than I'm sure they will both knit up into lovely shawls.

The other day I received my new spindle from Sheila at Journey Wheel and I love it. It is a featherweight red cedar and it weighs only 10 grams. I tried it when the postman delivered it and I had a bit of wobbling but that seems to be gone now. I finished spinning the fibre that Sheila used to test the spindle and then I tried some natural South African Fine and I am pleased to report there was no wobbling or the wobbling that did occur didn't hinder the ability to use the spindle.

So now for the ugly news. I pulled out the spinning wheel on Sunday and spun up the second bobbin of the confetti I bought from Copper Moose. Once the bobbin was done I plied it and put it on the noddy. I really believe this is the worst yarn I have produced. It is so underplied. It looks to me like some of the singles were overspun and the plying was underplied. I have no clue what happened. Maybe I had too much on my brain. Maybe it's the confetti part of the fibre. I don't know what went wrong but it is awful. I am so ready to just chuck it all in the trash. I am taking a spinning wheel class at Gemini Fibres on March 31st and I am seriously considering not even bothering to touch the wheel until then. The intermediate wheel spinning class will be in May and I am going to take that as well. Hopefully I will improve by then. I think for now I am going to stick with the spindles. I seem to have more control on a fine single using the spindle.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:51 p.m., Blogger Maggie said…

    Oh man, that's about as ugly as what happened with my koolaid fibre. Just underplied and crappy. And I had such a horrible time with the plying, my singles kept breaking. And I wasn't jazzed on how the colours turned out anyway, so I guess at least I didn't screw up some gorgeous fibre. I'm sorry your pretty confetti didn't turn out. :(

     
  • At 9:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Rochelle - before you dump it in the crapola pile, try knitting a swatch and see how it felts - you could always make a booga out of it and see what happens....

     
  • At 11:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well it didn't sound too bad until you got to the last. :) I've had that happen. In my case, it's usually due to operator malfunction. Have you tried setting the twist on the yarn yet? Sometimes that helps, but it may not in this case.

     
  • At 1:11 a.m., Blogger Sheila said…

    Knit a swatch up and see how it looks. You never know. I like the color. I'm glad your health sounds ok.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL