Saturday, July 21, 2007

Spinning With Friends Is The Best

Kimberly and I drove up to Maggie's place this morning. We had a spin in day. We all had a blast. I am so glad we did this. Kimberly is trying to learn to spin. I brought her a Mini Bossie spindle to try. I think, if nothing else, she might have started to get the hang of drafting using the park and draft method. Then she gave my Victoria a try. It was more difficult, as is to be expected but I think she had a very good time.

Look at the lovely stuff I brought home from Maggie's. The left is some hand dyed merino that she dyed and the left is fingering weight sock yarn that she dyed. The colours are just spectacular. I think I am going to be getting a lot more of this stuff both for knitting (sock yarn) and for spinning (fibre). I don't think Paul is going to think this is such a good thing.

Speaking of spinning, I managed to get the rest of the singles spun and plied. At first I was going to try and ply it again because there are sections that are under plied. I took the skein off the noddy when I was by Maggie and wound it into a center pull ball when I got home. When I did that I found that the under plied sections are not as bad as I had originally thought. Add to that the fact that the sections that are over plied will be even worse if I try to ply it again. So I've decided to leave it the way it is. Hence you see it here on the noddy waiting to be given a bath. I started spinning some fibre Maggie and I dyed a few months ago. I think I am going to give that a rest for a bit and start another bobbin on the Louet Victoria. I haven't used that wheel in a while and I brought it with me to Maggie's in case Kimberly wanted to give it a try. She did and I used it for a little bit to show Kimberly some stuff. It made me want to spin on her again. I just wish Louet would come out with the higher ratios for this machine. I have to treadle so fast to get the twist I need in the singles. I have to do the same thing on the Joy and that's why there were parts on the yarn I just did that are under plied - there are sections that are under spun and I think that's what caused it. Maggie said treadle faster and draft slower. It's so difficult for me to remember to keep doing it. THAT'S WHY I WANT THE HIGHER RATIOS. I thought they were going to release it in March. It's already July. Can they hurry up already?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sounds like a fun day. The yarn and fiber are lovely!

     
  • At 11:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think that's why you'll like the Little Gem - it's super sensitive to tension so beware that a tweak can change your under to over if you aren't careful!

    I also bought both the higher and lower whorl add ons - you might look at those too - they really affect my spinning when I change.

    I love love love my Gem and wouldn't be without her - she's my favourite of the 6 or 7 wheels I've spun on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL