The Serpentine socks, the July sock from the Sockamania Club
, are now complete. I just finished re-knitting the first sock. When I knit the first sock I was worried about yardage so I made the cuff about 2 inches shorter. On the second sock I decided to make the foot a little bit shorter so I was able to make the cuff longer. I liked the way the second sock fit better than the first so I ripped the first sock back to where I began the gusset shaping on the second sock and re-knit it. I can't begin to say how much I loved this pattern. I did change it just the slightest bit by doing the cables every 4th round instead of 3. I couldn't use the 2.5mm needles that I started with because the sock was coming out too big. I was afraid if I kept the 3 round repeat on the cables it might be too tight using the 2mm needles. The fit is perfect and I actually found this heel construction was easy to avoid the holes on the side of the gusset. This is the first time I used this heel construction. I think I finally have the wrap and turn under control and I should be able to try the short row toe next.
The yarn used is Lucy Neatby's Celestial Merino in colour Fiesta on 2mm needles. I love this yarn. I like the way it looks and the way it feels. It is a joy to work with. The only thing I wish is that it had a bit more yardage. I would have tried to make the cuff length a little longer. Other than that, I have to get more of this yarn.