Home At Last
The left thigh is still draining and the doctor thinks it might for another week or two. So he has arranged for home care to come daily to change the bandage in that area. Other that that most of the other incisions are healing nicely. The right thigh. both arms, right breast and left back are almost there. The right back isn't quite there yet and I had a nasty reaction to this bandage they tried using on me in the hospital. I don't recall it being used on me before. I think the name is something like Tegaline. It's a clear plastic similar to what they use when you have an IV put it. Well boy did I have a reaction to that. My left thigh had blisters wherever the bandage touched my skin and the left breast is still pretty red where the bandage touched my skin. When the drain was finally removed yesterday the nurse wanted to use that same tape on me because they had used it there to secure the drain so when I showered it wouldn't detach from where the tube in my side connected to the suction tube (it did it twice before). Luckily that area didn't react but I told the nurse not to use it because I wasn't taking any chances. Nothing but Medipore tape for me from now on. It's the only stuff my body doesn't react to and believe me it isn't easy to find. Paul went to a Shopper's Home Health place and even they didn't carry it. Luckily the hospital provided it for me so the nurse will have it when she comes later today.
I did get some knitting done while I was in the hospital. I finished the socks I cast on July 13th (surgery day) and Paul brought me more sock yarn on Saturday. I also knit two scarves for Relay for Life with yarn my friend Joan brought me. By the time I finished both those scarves I was ready for some sock knitting. I don't do much knitting with 8mm needles or boucle yarn. I've had this yarn ready to knit for a long time but everytime I wanted to get to it something would distract me and the yarn would be put aside yet again. This is yarn from my friend Maggie who used to dye yarn under Dyed in the Wool Handmade. It's 80% merino, 10% cashmere and 10% nylon. I finished the second sock yesterday just before the nurse came to do the bandage and discharge me. The socks are knit toe up and the pattern is a simple 2 row pattern repeat of k3, p3 on rnd 1 and p1, k1 on rnd 2. I decided to do a twisted rib k1tbl, p1, for the cuff. They fit perfectly and now I just have to block these and the other socks.