Tuesday, September 08, 2009

This Spinning Thing

Things have been pretty hectic in my life of late. My MIL had surgery on August 25th and it's been a very rough ride. I believe she is on the road back and we are all so very greatful. I tried knitting during my time at the hospital but I just couldn't. Instead I was spinning some green corriedale on 2 spindles and finished this corriedale on the wheel. I spun it on Lizbeth and I am so pleased with the results. This is the third batch of yarn that I am really happy with. I know they say that when you spin fine you can never go back. I thought I would try to see if I could spin thicker than the laceweight Ashford fibre I spun and this is the result. I think it's about 20 WPI, if I remember correctly. I don't have it anymore so I can't tell for sure. I know it's about 1000+ yards and it's about 200 grams. I think it's close to fingering weight.

DH also bought me this gorgeous Golding spindle. I've been lusting after it for quite some time and when I showed it to hubby I told him I wish someone would just buy it so I could stop lusting. Well he told me to go ahead and get it so I did. It came last week and, needless to say, it spins like a dream. The way the gold and red look when it's spinning is just something to behold. Yet another great tool from Golding Fiber Tools.

Tonight we're having an impromptu get together with some friends and I am looking forward to it. I took some time off on Saturday and drove up to Gemini. I came home with some fibre and another spindle. I need good lighting for that so you can see the lacewood properly. I also bought some cotton to play with on the charkha. I think I'm beginning to get the hang of that contraption. On Sunday I spent a few hours at The Purl and came home with some violet corriedale. I finished spinning half the fibre yesterday. It's amazing how much quicker you fill a bobbin when it's not thread. Now to get the second bobbin done and get it plied. I'm hoping for fingering weight about the same as the corriedale pictured above. By the weekend I should know if I'm still on a roll.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:51 p.m., Blogger Maureen said…

    A very cute Betty Boop spindle!!

     
  • At 11:50 a.m., Blogger Creativehands said…

    It's a lovely collection of wheels and spindles!
    I've just gone through a bunch of your posts...would you let me know the next time that you're heading up to Gemini Fibres? I live pretty close, have a Ladybug that I need to use more and you sound like a very interesting lady to meet!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

AddURL